Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The moments I miss my dad

My dad had such an impact on who I am today. I think the passion for learning about new and distant places was something he always carried around in his heart. He always had an amazing story to tell everyone about. I feel he lost some vital part of himself at a young age and spent the rest of his lifetime trying to pick up pieces of his broken dream. I used to love how he would cook for me whenever I stayed at his house. Most often it was chicken noodle soup, made in the crock-pot. Coming home and feeling like he had put so much time into something for me was amazing. No one has ever matched the love I felt from my father. I know he did everything he could for me, he would have sacrificed anything to make me happy. At the time I was so ungrateful and unaware of the world, I did not see that he was on a horrible downward spiral. There were moments I wished that things had gone different for him but I think what made such a great man was that he had gone through so many different things and survived.

Sometimes when I am sitting in my living room, listening to music , I think back to our basement in Kennesaw , GA. My dad loved music and was so eager to share all of it with anyone who would listen. He pulled each record out like it was a new adventure we were about to descend into. He would turn up songs and artists playing tracks that after time, I would learn to know as the classics of rock and roll. I was in love with the Beatles by the time I was six.The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Alice Cooper, The Grateful Dead, Crosby ,Stills, Nash , and even Young all were regulars in my childhood. The proudest moment for me was taking my father to this huge music festival, Big Cyprus, Phish was having for new years. Having him finally experiencing something I could give back. Sharing the music with him and enjoying something new unlike he had ever seen. I am glad that we had that fleeting moment.

No comments: